Complaints Procedure

At times, events may occur at the school that parents, students, or staff members may have concerns about. Ideally, in the first instance, those involved should engage in a dialogue about the matter. Experience has shown that in most cases, a resolution can be reached through conversation. However, there may be situations where this is not possible, and in such cases, it is possible to file a complaint.

You can find information on how we handle such situations in our school guide. The guide also provides the name and contact details of our internal contact person. If you need more information, we refer you to the complaints procedure and/or the complaints flowchart provided by KSU.

For complaints related to discrimination, radicalization, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, severe physical violence, or psychological abuse (bullying), you can also contact a confidential inspector from the Inspectorate. The confidential inspector provides advice and support for these types of complaints. Students, teachers, parents, and other stakeholders can seek assistance from the confidential inspector. In cases of suspected sexual abuse, a school is legally required to contact the confidential inspector. The confidential inspectors can be reached by phone at 0900-1113111.